I used to be watching the movie Mr. Deeds the opposite day. The half got here alongside the place he [donates his $40 billion inheritance to the United Negro College Fund (UNCF)](https://youtu.be/5il2c3D_ZRI). As an accountant it made me curious to how a lot cash is donated yearly to the UNCF, so I did some digging.
Below is a breakdown of the annual contributions by yr. I began in 2002 when each the film Mr. Deeds was launched and the Form 990 tax filings can be found and ran by 2008 when the recession started.
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2002_08_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200203) – $168,474,806
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2003_08_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200303) – $129,818,384
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2004_11_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200403) – $153,865,177
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2005_09_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200503) – $169,408,629
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2008_01_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200603) – $160,879,366
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2008_04_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200703) – $162,008,049
* (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/display_990/131624241/2009_01_EO%2F13-1624241_990_200803) – $146,213,246
I used to be stunned to see such a big drop off in 2003 equating to 23% of 2002’s donations.
At first I believed 2002 should’ve been a fluke of a yr. Unfortunately I can not discover any tax filings earlier than 2002 however this [historical breakdown](https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/3/United-Negro-College-Fund-Inc.html) suggests they acquired substantial contributions main as much as 2002. The 2002 submitting yr additionally consists of the interval during which 9/11 occurred and a brand new scholarship was made for households affected by the tragedy. I believed this will have a induced a big uptick in donations however think about there have been extra organizations than ever to donate to round this time. I think about the UNCF was not being the one group to assist 9/11 victims and their households. The longtime serving president and CEO William H. Gray III additionally stepped down in 2004. It may be inferred that this was because of poor efficiency in 2003.
These details lead me to consider 2002 was not a yr out of the norm for the UNCF. So what would trigger March 2002 to March 2003 to take such a big dip. Could or not it’s because of Mr. Deeds?
[Studies](https://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9826838/best-charities-donate-2018-giving-tuesday) present that persons are much less prone to donate once they do not suppose a corporation wants the cash. The fictional $40 billion acquired by the UNCF may have put in some peoples minds that the UNCF does not want the funds. It might have taken a while for individuals to lastly understand a faux $40 billion is not useful and that is why we see incremental enhance over time after the movie’s launch.
The actual kicker of all that is within the type of a spoiler. >!Emilio finally ends up being the rightful inheritor and the $40 billion given to the UNCF by Deeds was not his to offer. So presumably the group does not get the cash in actual life or the film.!<
tl;dr: The yr Mr. Deeds got here out donations to the United Negro College Fund went down 23%. There is nearly no proof this has to do with the $40 billion they acquired within the film.